1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably ale
2 18-ounce bags precooked diced peeled potatoes
1 14-ounce can vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken
1 cup water
2 1/2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced or finely chopped
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat. Add
onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add
beer; bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
2. Add potatoes, broth and water; cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until the
potatoes are tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and
mash the potatoes with a potato masher to the desired
3. Whisk milk and flour and add to the soup. Bring to a simmer
over medium-high heat and cook, whisking occasionally, until
thickened, about 3 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 1/4 cups cheese; keep
stirring until melted.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the remaining 1/4
cup cheese and bell peppe
Serves: 6 (1 3/4 cups each)
Preparation time: 35 minutes